Saturday, July 26, 2008

Berry Picking

A friend of mine called the other night and asked if I wanted to go berry picking. Well I can never turn down a berry picking opportunity. In two and a half hours we had picked 9 cups of wild strawberries! And my friend decided that she had enough berries already at home so she gave me all of hers; what a sweetheart! So there are now 8 cups of berries in the freezer ready to make jam when I track down some certo. The other cup was put on top of a homemade white cake with whipping cream that we took over to some other friends to enjoy.

Sorting berries:


What a haul!

5 comments:

allieanne said...

You don't need certo to make jam. Look up no-pectin recipes.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Do you have any you could suggest for strawberry freezer jam?

Anonymous said...

Awe, can I come next time? :P

Meandering Michael said...

>drool<

Wild strawberries are just too good to turn into jam.

>drool<

allieanne said...

I do 4 cups strawberries, 4 cups sugar, 1/4 cup lemon. Boil hard until the consistency you like (check on a freezer plate).

Then instead of canning, cool and freeze.