Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Okay, I give!

I figured someone would ask for this! (Hi Jennith!)

How to bake banana bread like Kara the banana bread baking goddess:

2c flour
1c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 c margarine (melted)
2 tbsp milk + 1 tsp vinegar
3 bananas (mashed)

Mix dry ingredients together. I like to use a whisk to mix them up nicely. Add egg and milk (vinegar added to milk prior to this) whisk some more. Add mashed bananas and melted butter last. Mix away! Whisk no longer works well so I like to use my hands since I make such a big batch at once.

Turn into greased loaf pan (secret ingredient- Wilton Cake Release!! Spread this all over your loaf pan- amazing stuff!). Bake at 350 for 1 hour. My oven is a little hot, so I just do 325 for 1 hour. Take out of oven, let loaf sit in pan for 5 minutes, shake a bit, and pop out your beautiful banana bread!

You can make up to 6 loaves at a time. I say 6 because that is how many fit in a regular oven at once. 4 side by side along the back, and two lengthwise in the front. And bananas can be frozen for use in banana bread. Just leave out on counter for a few hours on paper towel (they ooze a bit). Then just cut one end and squeeze it out! I have about 60 bananas in my freezer right now!

*Pet Peeve- uptight people who won't share recipes! It is just food!! Good thing I am not one of those people! I just didn't even think to include it in my last post. So you can all go to Jennith's blog and thank her for prompting me!

**WARNING! If you make this, members of your household (human or furry), will require you to bake it at least once a week from here on out.

***oh! And chocolate chips can be added in as well. Husbands seem to like this option.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. I'll have to try your recipe. The added chocolate chips will depend on whether there are any left in the house. Every time I buy them, I hide them, and my husband finds then. Then when I need them, I have to go out and buy them. And the cycle continues.

Oh, and I once baked a banana bread in the barbecue. Honest! Medium setting, upper shelf, and an hour later, mium.

Jennith said...

Thanks Kara! Banana Bread is my favourite baked good. When I last made some - I used to put quartered frozen cranberries in and chocolate chips. :D I hope to test it out today as I just happen to have 2 dead bananas on hand. :D

Indigo said...

yum, yum, yum

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Y.C- my husband is the same!! I have to hide them well, but he still seems to find them! And the bbq??? Was your oven broken?

Jennith- that sounds good with cranberries! I might have to try that this fall when the cranberries are out!

Indigo- of course yum!!

Anonymous said...

To be honest with you, I don't remember why I used the BBQ. We were housesitting on our honeymoon on Gabriola Island. My only guess is that it was a hot day and I didn't want to heat up the house by using the oven, and I had some bananas to get rid of.