Sunday, August 3, 2008

Beautiful Weekend on the South Canol

We had such a wonderful weekend out camping. The weather was amazing! The sun was shining and it was about +18C most of the time; not too hot and not too cold. The side road we had wanted to take is in pretty bad shape, so we will have to try it out next year when we replace the quads. So we went to Rose Lake the first night. There are a few unmaintained campsites there. Hunter was so excited to be out camping that it took a few hours to get him to sleep. I finally ended up packing him to settle him down.

Hunter was up at the butt-crack of dawn- just before 6. So him and dad played in the camper and I went fishing. I love fishing. I seriously love it- but the fish don't love me. I have the worst luck and that didn't change this weekend. A guy fishing beside me with his fly rod was catching heaps of fish, so I guess it is time to learn how to use mine. After a breakfast of side pork and pancakes we drove further down the South Canol Road and found a nice pull out along the Rose River. We were all a little tired so we had a great family nap before lunch. I did some more fishing there with no luck.

We drove back the way we can to the Lapie River for our second night. There were about 4 unmaintained campsites where we were at- but we were the only ones there. We had a fun evening playing by the fire, me still trying to catch fish, eating supper, and more playing by the fire. Hunter went to sleep a bit easier but still later, I think it was around 9 when he went to sleep. The fresh air must have gotten to all of us and we slept until 8am on Sunday. Had a yummy breakfast of french toast and sausages and I tried fishing again while Matt and Hunter played in the sand and packed up.

We drove into Ross River to have lunch, pick up some groceries and fill up the truck. Then back to Faro to relax for the afternoon. The scenery on the South Canol Road is second to none. That is the most beautiful drive we have ever taken and can't wait to drive the whole road. Enjoy the pictures!

Us set up on the Lapie River:


He has so many bug bites I was calling him Mr. Lumpy today:


Enjoying mommy time:


The Lapie River:


Lapie River Canyon:


Our kid loves the truck!


The road gets pretty narrow at times, but it was pretty well maintained. I would not recommend taking a car down here though:


There are so many rivers and creeks and in this one was a vehicle!


Of course his favorite book had to come with us:


I bet we read this book 20 times over the weekend:


Hunter and me at Rose Lake:


Playing in the water


He escaped mid-diaper change and decided he was going to drive instead:


Fishing on the Rose River:


Matt and Hunter taking in the view:


Amazing scenery:


More amazing scenery:


Rose Lake:


Eating breakfast- Hunter loves his pancakes!


Playing by the water:


More scenery:


Putting Hunter to sleep in my amouti:


Little hand prints on the camper window:


Driving with dad:


The sun coming over the hills at Rose Lake:

10 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

So very very cool. When are you taking a road trip to Saskatchewan???

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Hopefully next summer actually!

deiss said...

And then on to Ottawa, right?

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

But I thought you were coming up here next summer :)

Jennith said...

Wow... :D I always thought that the Yukon page was always consistently the best one in the Calendar. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos

deiss said...

Well I figured if you were driving, a couple of days farther east would be okay! So we're meeting in the middle now? :-P

Aida said...

that is so beautiful! Ava is crazy over pancake with syrup too.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Nope, you are meeting me here at my house and I will cook you and Pav pancakes :)

deiss said...

Will the pancakes have your berries in them? And can we have that cake you made when I visited last time?

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Next time, throw some bacon on a hook and let it sit on the bottom. I use heavy jig heads. You will have lots of luck then! Find the pools where the current isn't as strong. Great scenery, reminds me of when I was in Fort Ware. Awesome sights!