Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Toddler Booties!

I have just finished my first pair of booties for "bigger" kids. These ones were made for Jade and I sure hope they fit. I took all of her measurements when I was in Whitehorse in the spring and they look pretty good! So Jade is going to be my guinea pig to see how these stand up to use by a toddler. I had only made small sizes up to now for kids that aren't really walking yet. I also did these out of a canvas. I was able to use the serger on some seams, but some parts were too thick. I would do them a little differently next time so more edges were serged. I broke one of the serger needles- so the liners will have to wait until tomorrow to be completed.

The store that sells my booties in Whitehorse, Midnight Sun Gallery, has been asking me for bigger sizes. I am going to show these off there before delivering them to Jade. They placed an order for 6 more pairs that I have to drop off this week.




Matt is off in Ross River working until tomorrow. I hate being alone in a dark house! And it looks like he will be gone a bunch this fall. The first two weeks of September and 20 days in October to Pelly Crossing. That is about three hours northwest of here. I am not too happy about it, but ah well! We can go with him when we want, and we can even travel in his government vehicle with him. I really don't mind being by myself, but with being sick while pregnant, I am worried I will just get exhausted. But Matt said if I am pooped, just hire a sitter and a housekeeper! I think I will fake sick to ensure that I get the housekeeper! My house is usually really clean, but I hate washing the floors and I feel pretty sick after cleaning the bathroom while pregnant.

And speaking of pregnant- I think I am in my seventh week. If this is like last time, all hell will hit in another week or so. I have been throwing up a little and making yaking/ralping noises when I get winded or sit/stand to quickly. My husband hates the word yak and I love it. But we both agree that I sound more like a ralph when I am sick!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kara, the booties are sooooo beautiful!!! I am so excited about them, and I know Jade will be, too! Yay, yay, happy dance!

I hear ya on the hubby travelling. Michael will be away in the first week of September - boo! It would be fun to have you here while both the men are away, but our house is so NOT clean and so disorganized to boot, it wouldn't be much of a holiday for you, surrounded in chaos! :)

Good luck with the pregnancy symptoms... maybe you'll be lucky this time!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Those booties are really beautiful! You did a wonderful job! Wish I had those for Patrick. Do you sell? Lucy

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I will email you later Fawn to figure out a time to drop them off!

Hi Lucy!! Yes, I do sell them. These are my first bigger ones- they are for a girl who is close to three I think.

jen said...

Those big booties seriously rock! Ok so I need to order a pair, but of the baby ones for the little girl!

Now that your making larger ones, think you'll go all the way to adult sizes? ;)

Meandering Michael said...

Holey smokes. Those are AMAZING!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Hi Jen!!! Just send me a message with what kind you want for your little spawnette.

And I have a gopher for adult ones! My friend Deiss is going to send me her measurements and I will try them out on her. Bigger should be easier on the machine, but more expensive! I will let you know how Deiss does as the gopher!!! How about a trade- you get me a pair of custom made seal-skin kamiks and I will send you baby kamiks and kamiks for you and probably still some cash to make up the difference!!! Those seal kamiks are pricey eh!

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I wanna be a gopher too!! And so does Joey!!! We'll have to chat. I seriously want a pair for Joey. And I can't wait until you start making adult ones. Sign me up for a pair!! Maybe we can work out a deal like Jen. I can get you... um... a pelican??? I KNOW! I gift certificate to the Northern! Hehe.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

ahahhahaha I totally want a pelican Tina!!! Email me about Joey.

Megan said...

They are GORGEOUS. I had no idea you had so much talent! Yowzas.

Aida said...

gorgeous and let me know how they hold up! might get a pair for my little girl.

btw, Ben's booties fit fine with room to grow and will last him till april. i posted on my blog about it. he was really curious with the fur and kept stroking it..lol

Anonymous said...

Kara, how much do you sell them for? Would you do the ol'trading? My husband makes ivory earring, bracelet or necklace pendant. Cash will do too. Do you make boys too? My boy is 3 years old and if you do plan to make for boys, I'd like to get at least that fits a 5 year old. Thanks. Email me please..Lucy

Jennith said...

Oh... those are beautiful. If I ever have to go through 3 or more months of yakking, I'll put an order in to you too. :D Hope you feel better soon.

Elis said...

Thanks! That's quite the cute baby you've got! Glad you enjoyed the blog - I don't update it very frequently, but I have been trying to make more of an effort recently...knowing that people read it is a good motivator! And those booties are really nice...I will have to stop at Midnight Sun to check them out personally.
Sarah

Tigger said...

What do you use-moosehide? If so, where do you get it? I am running out, I have 3 deer hides-I suppose they would work....But I really would like more moose!!
Those booties are super cute-do you sew or buy the band around the top? I love them, finishes them off really nicely.
You are a wonderwoman!! We miss you here!