Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Packing Shirt and Amouti Pictures

All of the women in Kugluktuk carried their babies/kids in packing shirts and then had their parkas over top. Not many women there wore amouti's. They are definitely a more Eastern Nunavut parka. But I get the best of both worlds! Hunter loves being in both.

Since the new baby is set to arrive in the next 16'ish weeks I figured it was time to make a new packing shirt. Mine was a little worn so I cut it up to make a new pattern. It turned out great! So the baby rides on your back, bum down and legs out to the side. There is a nice little spot to hold their head in place too. I started packing Hunter when he was about 3 weeks old. I was really impressed with the results! Although, I think next time I am going to change the shape around the arms a bit, but that should be easy.

Packing shirt from the front. You just tie it under your boobs and it stays firmly in place!


Packing shirt from the side. I have my cabbage patch kid in there! I look hilarious with it on since my tummy is getting bigger by the day.


And this is an odd shot, but I wanted everyone to see the kid in there. So Matt stood on a chair and pulled the packing shirt out a bit. I think you get the idea.


Tonight we were heading over to a friends house for yet another supper out! (5 suppers out in the last week!). It was only around the block so Hunter got a nice little ride in the amouti. So far not a real issue to pack him even with being pregnant. Now he does only weight 24lbs, so it is pretty easy. I can't go very far though or I start to feel it in my abdomen. And I should be nice to Skeletor!


And this is a great shot of the two of us!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. You know Jen is going to want one. Rob wants to know why you have the Highliner Logo on your back. *laugh*

sansthespam said...

This is the best way to carry a baby. Amauti scare me, actually. What if you couldn't feel the baby moving? Yikes.

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaand that was me. Sorry, I'm on Steve's computer.

Aida said...

love the shirt thing! it almost looks like a summer amauti!

sorry kara, "stealing" your spot here..but santhespam,i wore Ben in the amauti when he was weeks old as well, i can feel him there since i can feel his belly "breathing" on my back. even in winter, Ben is in summer clothing and i wear a camisole and both of us are still super warm in the amauti.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful amauti, Kara! I envy that beautiful fur-lined hood! Do you ever wear the hood up, btw? The way mine is designed, it doesn't really stay up easily, though I would hold it in place on cold days to make sure Jade stayed warm.

Anonymous said...

How the small baby legs are positioned in amauti or in packing shirt?? Like frog or like joga sitting?

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Asta,

In the packing shirt his legs wrap around my side, so he is sitting on his bum.

Most of the time that is how he is in the amouti too. Sometimes though he sits in it like a little frog with his feet below him and his knees out to the side. He also likes to stand up in it and look around!

Anonymous said...

I think newborn legs are too short to wrap around sides ;)
How did you positioned baby legs when he was a few weeks old?

My baby is now 3 months and I am trying position his legs in amauti like little frog..

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

hehe you are right! They don't go right around the side, but as a newborn they love that position!! I started packing Hunter with his legs out to the side in the packing shirt when he was just 3 weeks old. He still loves it so much! I think he is going to be so sad when the next baby arrives and he won't get to amaaq anymore!

Blessedw5mom said...

I LOVE it!! I have so wanted an Amouti for such a long time ... I'll keep adding it to my Christmas list :-)

Heather @

http://growing-in-rejoicing.blogspot.com

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow! I am seeing totally new things- that's awesome!

Steph

Upstatemamma said...

What cool carriers you have!! I have never seen either of those before. I love that shirt. So neat!!!

Carrie said...

I had never heard of the amouti until this week -but what neat ideas! Also, the packing shirt is a neat idea, too! :) Thanks for sharing!