Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Where does my day go??

Before I know it, it is evening again. Where did my day go?

If you can all believe this, I have started babysitting two kids three mornings a week. I am doing it out of pure selfishness though! I felt so bad for Hunter that I was sitting in the rocking chair so much with Cavan and the little gopher was getting bored. A friend of mind was looking for a sitter, so it is a win-win situation! Her children are both close in age to Hunter and they all play so well. The mornings with three toddlers in my house go so quickly, but I get an enormous amount of house work done while they play.

Cavan is going down for the night now between 9:30 and 10:30 and wakes up twice during the night. It is a great little schedule we have. The boys and I are all napping for two hours every afternoon which gives me energy to burn in the evenings. That nap allows me to not turn into a tired-grumpy-super-wench when my husband comes home from work.

The only time I am missing is sewing time. I have not touched a mitten since we came home with Cavan. Perhaps if I was able to break my evening internet addiction I could get started again... Aida, how do you have time to sew with the two kids?! I have some new patterns I want to try with the rest of the seal that I have. And I have an idea for a little seal purse I want to try. The wonderful Indigo has been inspiring me.

And an admission- Hunter now watches the Cars movies once a day most days. Yep. That is more than 20 minutes a day! He begs for it as soon as he wakes up in the morning, so that is usually when he watches it. At this rate he is going to burn through that dvd in no time- Tina you had better make us a back up!

And an accomplishment- today I did six loads of laundry and put away four of them! Yep. I did it! Matt usually does all of the laundry in the house, but I thought I would give him a break. I really dislike putting away laundry, so this is a pretty impressive day for me!

Countdown is now on- 5 and a half weeks until Matt starts parent leave!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

After going to university and being beat over the head with rabid women's lib stuff I find it interesting that in this day and age there is still room for the stay at home mom. And from what I gather from the few I know, their children are happy, healthy and just as functional as any other child. Of course, I was never allowed to say this in my faculty or mention how I thought this was admirable and something I would seek out in a future relation in the future for fear of being tied to a pole and thrown headlong into the Detroit River. I'm not quite sure what to make of it and I almost wasn't sure of how to word this comment.

I find it interesting that those nuts advocate for choice but when that choice is to stay at home and devote your time to family, then they seem not to give it much acknowledgement. I hope I'm not digging myself a hole here by saying all this. My brain is still processing it all as I type.

Megan said...

What IS it with that movie?

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the note on my blog! I love that you now make mittens!! Do you sell them? They sound authentically "Canadian" :)

Tigger said...

As another woman with 2 univeristy degrees, who has chosen to stay home with her children, I find it bizarre how some people see us as lazy and unproductive members of society. I am sure that most of societies ills are a reflection of children who have had to come home to an empty house after school, or have been raised at a babysitter's home with 5-10 other kids. I know that we 'work-at-home-moms' work harder and longer hours than most 9-5'ers out there. Between raising kids, volunteering at various children's events, laundry, meal preparation, balancing the kids social calendar, walking the dog, and general house management it is a wonder that I am able to have a shower and dress myself most days! I honestly believe that we are making the most important contribution of all, the future of our children.

My daughter overheard my husband and I talking about me possibly going back to working outside the home (which I am not.) She interupted us, said that she didn't want me to go away to work she loves me at home and who would hug her? and then, at the thought of it, began crying.....That says it all folks.

Tigger said...

I am still looking after another 3-year-old two afternoons a week, for the same reason....I love Peekaboo, but I can only play "Princess Dance Festival" so many times!! Thanks goodness for little, like-minded friends!

Tigger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay Niedzielski said...

I often feel like I am be-littled for being a stay at home mom, so it is nice to see that there are some people out there who do appreciate and see the value in it!!

That being said...Kara, you are super woman!!! I have half considered taking in a couple of kids a couple days a week, but then I think of all the work....and then I just go back to by internet browsing while my kids sit in their high chairs eating us out of house and home (how is it that a 2 year old can eat more than I can?) So good for you!!!!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

While in high school and university I was geared towards having this big career. Once I got married I started to put some thought into the stay-at-home mom career. So I worked my butt off for a few years up north in a great career and paid off debt so I could stay home with the kidlets.

I love being home with my kids, and as Tigger and Lindsay could attest, it is a heck of a lot of work! I do miss my career though. Running the learning centre was a different challenge and I loved it. In a few years I am pretty sure I want to get back into it. But for right now I know that I am meant to be at home raising my kids. It works for me!

To be able to have the choice of working or staying at home is the best part!

Darcy- I got this great visual of a bunch of crazy feminists dancing around of pole with you hog-tied to it. hhehehehe

Megan- I have no clue what it is about that damn movie! It is unreal how much he loves it!

Kathryn- I do sell them! Some for $300 or more depending on the material. It is a great hobby.

Lindsay- how do you get your 2 year old to eat?? Mine with eat for one day, then eat nothing for about 3 days! It is crazy!

Aida said...

woman..6 loads of laundry??? you using cloth during the day, that kid piss a ton..lol

i wont bother about sewing mitts for now, i think it wasnt till we adjusted to a routine, i went back to sewing a ton. before when the kids napped, i nap too. but now we have a VERY predictable routine. Ben goes down for a nap at 1pm till 2- 2.30pm. Ava will do her own thing and have this time to sew. when they go to bed at 8pm, I sew till whenever, so in total generally in a day, i have about 5 hours to myself which i use to sew.