Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Start of a New Decade.

Tomorrow I turn the big THREE-OH-fark-where-did-the-last-ten-years-go-so-quickly-aren't-I-still-18???

It's not that I have a problem with getting older, but more that I am going to miss my twenties. What an amazing ten years I have had. I am a list-making-goal-setter and in the last decade I have accomplished everything on that list I wanted and more. I am pretty proud of my accomplishments and in honour of the big 30 and the last decade I am going to list some of them in no real order:
  • completed two degrees (Bachelors of Science in Wildlife, Bachelor of Education specializing in high school science).
  • found an amazing guy and somehow convinced him to marry me and put up with all of my crap.
  • lived and traveled in all three territories. This was a total dream, but a husband willing to follow me north made it possible.
  • got a great start in my career in adult education. It is on hold now, but I am sure I will get back to it once the kids are older.
  • worked my butt off to help pay off most of our debt. We are able to live very comfortably off of one income so I can stay at home with the boys.
  • had two beautiful boys that make my heart want to burst with joy even when they are pouring birdseed or pop on my laptop or yakking/pooing all over me.
  • learned to love myself .
  • have all the toys I dreamed of (camper and quads especially).
  • have kept two kitties alive longer than any other pet I have owned.
  • learned to appreciate my sewing machine even after swearing I would never take it up.
  • made the most amazing friends who have become a spectacular web of support for me when life is tough.
  • became an auntie to two beautiful boys.
  • became a sister-in-law to a woman I admire.
  • shot my first moose and caribou.
  • learned to appreciate my parents and in-laws even when they drive me bat-shit crazy.
  • stashed away a good chunk for retirement that will continue to grow.
  • learned that family time is what makes me happy and family time in the bush on quads makes me jump for joy!
So I am not too sure how my thirties will be able to top that. What should I put on my goal to-do list for my thirties??

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love them all, but especially number seven! Congrats on turning 30 and attaining so much and for finding lots of love and happiness (and for bringing love and happiness to so many people!).

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

First goal: Plan/ attend a bloggers weekend somewhere central for all of us OR meet Rob and Tina camping somewhere next summer! OR BOTH!

Aida said...

ahhh, cheers to that and wishing another wonderful 10 years before we hit our 40s..lol

Corrienne said...

u admire me???? thats be thing that i would not have expected, thank you. unless that is your a kiss ass...lol j.k. im gonna phone u at 6 am and sing you happy birthday, Love u and have a great day

deiss said...

I say that maybe we can actually get going on our plan for world domination now that we're old. Add that to the list!

But really, I would pick something that you are scared of and conquer or set a goal and work towards it - mine were working with stained glass and climbing the mountain!

Sarah N said...

Happy birthday! You sure have accomplished a lot!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kara. It is such a pleasure knowing you over these several years, yes it has been a few, well before Hunter. I can't believe it has been that long either. I am so happy for you and how together your family and life is. I know you have worked hard to get what you have. Love Gwen from Tennessee.

Trish said...

Happy Birthday Kara!!
30 is not so bad, me being a pro at 30 now for the last 6 months :-) I think the 20's is where our lives really started and 30's is where we will actually live.

carole said...

Hey Kara,

Happy Belated Birthday!