Thursday, October 29, 2009

Enjoying My Second Favorite Season

The snow is here to stay and as I look out my window this afternoon, the mountains are disappearing into a white haze that is bringing more snow to town. I love winter, second only to hunting season. Yes, hunting is one of the seasons. Here in the Yukon the seasons are as follows:
  • Winter
  • More Winter
  • Where The Heck Is Spring
  • Mud
  • Bugs
  • Hunting
Hunting has always been my favorite season. I never miss being home with family for Christmas, but when they all get together for hunting I find myself rather homesick. Especially since I have stayed home with the babies for the last few hunting seasons. Next year though, I should be able to enjoy my favorite season full force! We will find a sitter and head out on our own. I will be dreaming of it throughout the rest of the seasons. What I really look forward to is when the boys are just a little bit bigger so they can join us for the extended quad rides into the mountains during hunting season. Now that will be some great family fun!

I really do enjoy the first season of Winter. The other two, I find myself antsy to get out and about and I dream of mud for my quad. But as soon as the snow starts falling I begin planning all of the sewing projects I want to do and purchase the leather and furs for those projects. The kitchen is full of delicious smells as those hearty, warm-you-up kind of meals are cooked. And I get to bring out my caribou kamiiks for keeping my toes toasty for another year.

The kids seem to be immune to the cold. Hunter begs to go outside and throws a fit when it is time to come in. Rarely will he walk into the house on his own. Usually we have him thrown over our shoulder, like a bag of potatoes, kicking and screaming the whole way. The baby seems to be following in his footsteps and loves long walks in his stroller in the chilly weather. Pretty soon I will be breaking out my amouti so I can amaaq (carry) him for our outside time. Winter never holds us back from enjoying the outdoors with the kids.

Winter is a time when the community comes together again. During the Mud, Bug and Hunting seasons it is every person for themselves as they are out camping, traveling, fishing, etc. But during the Winter season there are numerous community events, potlucks, crafting nights, movie nights, kids playgroups, exercise groups and the list goes on and on! It is the time to pop over for tea and cookies and catch up on the events last few seasons. Although, by the time Where The Heck Is Spring comes around, everyone is so sick of each other they start to get back into the every person for themselves mode.

So bring on the snow! I am excited and ready to enjoy the season!

1 comment:

In Iqaluit said...

Hi Kara! I loved the vacation stories told by Hunter and Cavan!

Here is what I have read/heard about seasons:

About Nunavut from Royal Canadian Air Farce, I think:
Winter, and
I smell the sewage lagoon

About Canada from Will Ferguson's How to be a Canadian:
"There is the assumption that Canada has only two seasons: Winter and Not Winter...In fact, Canada has no fewer than six distinct seasons: Tax; Hockey; More Hockey; Still More Hockey; Summer (also known as the July Long Weekend); and finally Good God, Isn't the Hockey Season Over by Now?!"

I love Will Ferguson.