Friday, April 23, 2010

New Sewing Projects

With the birth of Cavan a year ago, my favorite hobby was put on hold. I was a mitten making machine last winter and have missed sewing so much! Friends told me that in time I would get back at it as the boys started to play more independently and they were right. I have been getting down to my sewing room every couple of days. I throw a movie on the big tv downstairs, break out some toys that they haven't seen in a while and disperse some goldfish crackers around for them to find. I can usually get about 45 minutes at a time!

I have a lot of little leather and fur scraps that I wasn't sure how to use. Last summer I saw a little change purse at Value Village and thought I could probably make something along those lines. So this week I gave it my first attempt. It turned out not too bad! I need a zipper that is probably two inches longer though and I want to attach some kind of wrist strap that comes out of the end of the zipper. Please give me some feedback on it folks! All suggestions for improvement will be much appreciated. I also don't know what to call it. I think it is a bit big for a change purse and a bit small to be called a purse. Any thoughts??

Black seal and elk hide mini purse:

Next time I need to measure better for the zipper- I have a bit of a gap at the end.

A pen in there to show how big it is:
I also finally finished a pair of beaver mittens I had been working on since November! In my sleep deprived state I cut the fur out wrong- it is facing the wrong way. But they still came out pretty nice! They are fleece lined.

I started these seal mittens on our trip to Mayo and finished them this week:

4 comments:

Morena said...

Great job on the sewing. The purse could qualify as a clutch? Or a kleenex and lip stuff purse when you're out on snowmobiling or quading?

Unknown said...

cute little purse Kara. You have already commented on the zipper part. Any reason you choose a metal zipper over a plastic one? Here's my comment: it is sweet just as it is, maybe for another one you might want to use a coloured split skin (like blue or red or orange or green or whatever colour you have available). Or a smooth leather the same colour as the sealskin with a contrasting zipper. Like black sealskin and black leather with a red or bronze or blue zipper. I find pigskin is the best (and Halfords has it) but really just pick up a coloured smooth leather mini skirt at a thrift store and go from there. I like using smooth leather as a contrast to the sealskin for textural appeal and it does not show the dirt and handling split skin does. Plus you can clean smooth leather way easier than split skin.

just some ideas.

Let me know when you have a few made ahead.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Thanks ladies!

I used a metal zipper just because it was what I had on hand. I am going into WH in a couple of weeks and plan to grab a couple of different things. Thanks for the leather suggestions Indigo!

Fawn said...

For this little purse, which I think is adorable, you could use a little leather scrap to add a flower at the end with the gap -- that would cover things up and add a cute embellishment. I think "mini purse" and "clutch" both work.