Monday, April 19, 2010

Tackling the Hill

The community of Faro is spread out over a hillside and I live at the top of that hill- Upper Bench. The positives of living at the top are the great view, larger and newer homes, and bigger yards. The only negative of living at the top of the hill is the walk home. I love to go for walks around town, but I absolutely hate walking back up the hill. That hate had turned almost to fear that I might not be able to do it while pushing the stroller with the boys. It seems so silly that I would be scared of walking up a hill now doesn't it?

Finally last week I told myself to get past that hate and fear. Instead of just doing my usual 1km loop around the Upper Bench, I did a 1.5km loop that involved going down the hill and then back up again. I hadn't walked up that hill in over a year and for some reason it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it to be. I was pushing the double stroller filled with 55lbs of boys and a metal dump truck that a certain someone got sick of pushing. It didn't even take me that long and I only stopped a couple of times to catch my breath.

Then the next day a friend asked me to go for a walk with her brood of five (she runs a dayhome). So off we went with seven kids, two pedal bikes and two strollers. We did 4km in an hour and a half, not bad considering all of the stops we had to make. And I went up the hill on the way home! I was elated that I did that walk with no problems (other than a damp foot after rescuing Hunter from a snow bank with slush hidden underneath).

This morning I headed out and did my 1.5km loop with the boys and I am hoping to get out this afternoon for another walk. I am so glad I got over my hate of the hill. I am sure pushing that stroller uphill is good for downsizing my ass and boosting my esteem. Now what irrational fear should I conquer next?

7 comments:

Erica said...

Could you conquer some for me while you're at it? Like my fear that if a certain festival isn't *perfect,* I'll be run out of town? ^_^

Morena said...

Good for you. I had a hill like that in Dorset and I hated it but like you say, it was never as bad as you thought it was going to be once you got to the top.

Keep it up!

Fawn said...

With 30 lbs less on your body, I bet it truly IS easier! (Even with the extra weight in the stroller -- at least that's on wheels!)

I'm afraid of the little hill going to the Games Centre that I am going to have to attempt sometime with both girls in the bike stroller -- they are WAY heavier than last year!

jozien said...

Right on!

Remembering Alexander, i was always amazed, that he was almost too heavy for me at 3 months, but somehow i too grew stronger.

About hills, i live half way, and still rather go up first, where the down-hill part is on the way back.

Meandering Michael said...

Next up, the mountain in front of your house! :)

deiss said...

Congratulations pretty lady! One step, one day, one fear at a time. Getting out the door is the hardest part.

Heather, aka: Mum said...

very very cool! :)