Sunday, May 23, 2010

Birthday at the Lake

With the in-laws here visiting, we decided to celebrate the boy's birthdays together. I am a big fan of simple so we invited everyone out to the lake close to town for a big weenie roast. The only non-simple part was the damn cakes. My mother-in-law convinced me to make some fancy ones and they were so time consuming, but Hunter loved them, Cavan ate them, so everyone was happy.

The weather was perfect for a day at the lake with a high of +18 or so. I am bad mother and forgot sunscreen. All of us came home with sunburns and I had to slather both kids up with aloe vera lotion tonight. It was a fantastic day of celebrating with family and friends- all 27 of us!!

*warning- about a gazillion photos to follow....

The Lightening McQueen cake right after I finished it:

Delphine and Lilou enjoying the day:

Hunter and his Poppy attempting to find fish:

Peter and Monica playing ball:

Cavan enjoying the tasty food:

Everyone roasting their weenies:

The love of Hunter's life, babysitter Dana, taking a plunge into the lake.
The ice just came off a few days ago!


No pants, socks or boots, but yet he refused to take off his rain coat.

The cakes!!
That train one was a super pain in the butt to decorate,
but it turned out not too shabby!

The boys loved the cakes:

There is nothing quite like the joy of climbing playground equipment
with no pants.


Playing in the sand after I finally convinced him to take off his coat:

Now put the cake right here! I said here! Now!

My what cute underwear my kid has:

Ohhhhh.... water!!

I think I am going to have a lot of pictures like this throughout the summer:

I had to go in the water to keep Cavan close to shore!
It was damn cold.

We had to remove his pants, boots and socks after the inevitable fall in the lake. Then he was pissed off when he put his feet in the water and discovered how cold it was.

For some reason, my kids were the only ones there without pants on...

Discovering the joys of throwing and eating mud:

Diggin':

Diggin' too:

Funniest moment out there- Hunter had filled his boots with water and had removed them and his socks. Our friend told him to put his socks beside the fire so they would dry out. Hunter walked over to the fire and threw his socks right on top of the grill!! They got a little scorched before I could rescue them!

7 comments:

Breigh said...

Your cakes came out awesome! I just love the photo of Cavan in the camping chair eating. He's so cute :) Love the photos!

I'll have to show my husband the photos of people in the water. "LOOK! If they are in the water THERE, no reason we shouldn't be HERE!" :P

Looking good girl!

deiss said...

That looks like sooooo much fun! Happy joint birthdays boys!

Anonymous said...

The cakes turned out awesome Kara! And I just dies laughing when you said 'why are my kids the only ones without pants on'!!! Hanna wants to take hers off and we still have temperatures up to -20, so no wonder your kids want to enjoy the warmth!!!

Morena said...

Looks like it was a fantastic day. Happy birthday boys! The cakes looked really good, and Yummy.

Ann said...

Those cakes are amazing.
Sorry we didn't make it - apparently that's my mantra lately. Looks like it was fun.

Anonymous said...

Kara,

Cakes look fantastic!! Wow!! So did the day...
Tamara

A.J. said...

Looks like fun Im sad I missed it, Im pretty sure its a good thing I wasnt there tho because I would have joined the no pants party lol.