Friday, October 8, 2010

Delicious Food!

I finally had the chance to break out my new food dehydrator! Oh it is truly amazing. I had nine racks of fruit going and they all dried in record time or at least compared to the little dehydrators I owned in the past. I had a backlog of fruit in the house that I didn't want to go to waste, so I dried two mangos, five nectarines, a dozen apples and half a dozen pears- all at once! The mango and nectarine have already been scarfed and the pears will be gone in a couple more days. Delicious! Now I just need to come up with a name for this baby. I call my quad Betty and my 1hp meat grinder Bertha. I think another B-name is in order.

And now to introduce you to Bradley! This six rack digital silver beast smokes meat like nothing else. I tried something new this week with fantastic results. I boiled a gallon of water with half a cup of coarse salt, 1tbsp of curry powder, 2tsp onion powder and 1tsp pepper. After letting the water cool I poured it over bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and sealed them in large ziplock bags. They sat marinating in the fridge for 2.5hrs. Then I took them out and let them sit on cooling racks to dry for half an hour. And the last step was a three hour visit at 240F with hickory chips in the smoker. Oh my god. They were so delicious! I will definitely be doing this recipe again. Maybe I will even be brave enough to try an entire chicken sometime!

2 comments:

Ann said...

It all looks and sounds delicious.

kennie said...

Thats it. I'm quitting my job and moving into your house as a live in nanny (but I won't deal with shitty diapers or barf).