Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

Well baking with boys is about as entertaining as crafting with boys. Although, no icing went up anyone's nose.

Since Santa will be here soon, it was time to bake him some cookies. Chairs were brought up to the kitchen counter. Boys helped add the ingredients. Dad smacked hands that kept trying to reach into the KitchenAid while it was running. Boys yelled and yelled louder to lick the spoon. Finally they were each given a spoon with dough to eat.

Next I rolled out the dough. Cookie cutters were fought over. Cutters were squished into the dough again and again, usually overtop of where it was just placed. Little hands reached in to steal and eat more dough. Finally dad took them both to the bath and I cut and baked the rest, pulling them out of the stove and into the freezer for quick cooling.

Clean little boys then sat at the table. Dad dipped the cookies and tried to show the boys how to add sprinkles. The little boys just dipped their hands in the sprinkles and ate them. Then they each devoured two cookies each, grabbed a sippy cup of milk, and retired to the sofa to watch Might Machines while mom decorated the other 86 cookies.

Perhaps next year they will have more interest in helping versus eating? However, gauging from my husband's enthusiastic eating of the cookies, I doubt it. Ah well. It was still heaps of fun tonight.

Tomorrow we will be delivering cookies and Christmas cards around town to our friends and neighbours. A few will be saved for Santa to eat too.

COOKIES!

7 comments:

Ann said...

they look great. I remember all the times baking with my kids when they were little. Enjoy it while they're small before you know it they will be teenagers more interested in anything other than helping mom bake cookies. Mind you there are many other perks to having them grow up.

Megan said...

Merry Christmas!

Tigger said...

They look fantastic! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

jozien said...

I love the baking fun, holy!
Kara, i actually am not much of a baker, and had to come here to you for my own recipe for the tortillas, that i have to make for tonight. Thank goodness for blogging1
Thank you and wish you all more of that Merryness, that i read in your posts.

Morena said...

They look great! Please send me the address for that glaze, it looks so nice.

Merry Christmas my friend!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

The glaze is so easy Morena!

2.5 cups of icing sugar
1tsp almond extract
2tsp meringue powder (from Wilton)
5tsp water (or more depending on consistency you like)
Wilton gel colours

I cut the cookies a bit thick and just dip them into the icing and leave to dry! So easy.

Heather, aka: Mum said...

I LOVE them! Heck I love anything EASY these days :)

Sadly I didn't make a single cookie this year BUT I have been cranking out the homemade bread AND the home made Nuts & Bolts :) Wish we lived closer so that we could arrange a trade :) Oh well.....
Merry Chirstmas Kara! I hope the holidays prove to be the start to another year of exciting adventures for you :)