Thursday, April 28, 2011

Yum! Soup!

Every week I get a new recipe with my organic veggie order from the Alpine Bakery in Whitehorse. I usually give them a try if I have all of the ingredients. The recipe this week was a real winner!

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (sub. Yams)
2 large leeks, chopped (pale green and white parts only!)
4 cups veggie broth
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch garlic, peeled and grated (optional)
1/4c fresh cilantro (optional)
1.5tsp sage
1tsp pepper
2tsp salt
2tsp nutmeg
2tsp cinnamon
2tsp cumin

In a medium sized soup pot, saute the leeks in oil until translucent. Throw in the carrots, celery, garlic, and ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, veggie broth and spices and bring to a boil. Once soup boils, bring down heat to a simmer and let sit for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Puree, reheat, throw in cilantro and serve! I added a dollop of sour cream to each bowl as well.

Delicious and easy!

1 comment:

Trish said...

that sounds so tasty. I love a good bowl of flavour filled soup.