Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Festival So Far

I have been having a lovely time up here in Inuvik! So far I have given one bootie making workshop and I will be teaching another on Saturday night. There were two workshops that I had the opportunity to participate in as well- feather earring making and sewing with an elder to make myself a parka cover. The elder that I got to sew with was so much fun and definitely a master seamstress. It was a real treat to be able to spend that much time with her.

There were a few professional development classes that I was looking forward to taking. One has been postponed until tomorrow and the other.... well sometimes things in the north just don't come together. The person who was supposed to present didn't bother to show up. Ah well! More sewing time for me.

This festival is a real treat. I have nothing to do but sew and visit! I don't have to cook or clean and there is no one hanging off of my clothing yelling MOM! MUM! MUMMY! A perfect vacation for a crafter and a mother in dire need of a rest.

I have sold a number of items so far and have received a lot of compliments on my work. I have learned a few new tricks and am coming home with sewing ideas out the wazoo. My only complaint is that the time is passing much too quickly.

The boys don't even seem to miss me and so far I am not falling apart without them. Each time I call to talk to them I get, "Hi Mom. Me miss you. Here is Grandma." So yeah, they are fine and being spoiled rotten.

And now... back to sewing!

2 comments:

Morena said...

I'm glad you're having fun and that the kids are too. I know those quick talks aren't what you're hoping for when you talk to them but better that than them crying for you to come home :)

Enjoy the rest of your week. Talk soon.

Kristi-Bisti said...

The festival sounds wonderful!

I was a cross stitcher before the kids came along. Now I just look longingly at the patterns and wonder when I will get the time to just sit and enjoy. OK... I might be a bit envious of your craft time and alone time!