Wednesday, November 2, 2011

So, how are you doing?

I have been hearing that a lot lately.  And to be honest, not great.  Normal, but not great.

My body is having a tough time adjusting to the pureed food I am eating.  It is hard work trying to get my five small meals in a day.  I have gone down to eating about 1/3 of a cup at a time as 1/2 a cup was a bit too much and was causing some pain.  But after I eat, my guts just churn and gurgle and I am off running to the bathroom with horrible diarrhea.  I know, too much info, but that is what you get on my blog!

I contacted my surgeon (who has had the surgery himself), along with my nutritionist and what I am experiencing is very normal.  The advice I got was to just make sure I am getting in a lot of fluids and not to worry, my body will adjust over the next few weeks.

Right now I feel as though I have had a horrible stomach flu for the last three days.  I am very weak and tired.  While I felt lame at the beginning of the week having my kids in care, I am so thankful for it now.  There is just no way I would have been able to deal with the boys during the day on my own.  I am now thinking I will need to ask for more help again next week as I just need more time to heal.  This is tough for me.  I want to be outside enjoying all of the snow and taking the boys sliding or doing things around my house.  I like to be busy and productive!!  However, I am learning to enjoy my quiet house with a blanket and a book.

I am very grateful for all of our friends that have been dropping off suppers each night!  I have been able to truly take time to heal thanks to the kindness of people here in Faro!

4 comments:

Trish said...

Feel better soon Kara! That can't fun! Hugs and speedy recovery. *hugs*

Megan said...

Ugh. Hugs. Here's hoping the adjustment doesn't take too long.

Kristi-Bisti said...

It gets better every day. Just keep going.

It took me 3 months before I could eat without pain. It was some homemade soup. mmmmmm good.

Heather, aka: Mum said...

While it can't be fun & you say you feel weak right now...I gotta say...you are one tough cookie!! ;) Hang in there Kara...there will be lots more snow to freeze in when you are feeling up to it!!!