Saturday, January 21, 2012

Three Month Surgiversary

As of today it has been three months and two days since my bariatric surgery and I still feel that this has been best decision I have ever made regarding my health.

Since the surgery I have lost 44.5lbs and including the 11lbs I lost in the couple of weeks before the surgery I am down a total of 55.5lbs.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Each day I am now taking in 900 calories and aiming for 80 grams of protein.  My stomach will still only hold about half a cup of solid food at a time, or three-quarters of a cup of soup or other liquid.  I can finally manage to eat raw vegetables and I love having a few slices of cucumber or carrots with a bit of cheese for snacks.

It is still not without the struggles though.  I am going through a mourning period right now.  I miss food.  I miss eating an entire plate of homemade lasagna, a bag of chips, an entire apple.... that list goes on and on.  In the past I have always dealt with stress by eating, namely binge eating.  This week was very stressful for me and at one point I went to the store and bought a bag of cookies.  I ate two of them and felt sick.  So I took the bag into the rec centre and fed it to the teenagers!  Huge success for me; I got rid of those cookies and focused on proper food for the rest of the day.  I am learning slowly how to deal with my emotions, which means actually letting myself feel them whether they are good or bad.  There is no more hiding from my emotions and that is scary to think about, but it is also empowering for me.

I took my measurements for the first time in three months and was pretty astonished at the results there.

Chest has gone from 51" to 47.5" = 3.5" lost
Waist has gone from 52" to 48.25" = 3.75" lost
Hips have gone from 64" to 59" = 5" lost
Upper arms have gone from 17" to 16" = 1" lost

Woweeeee!  I did have a thigh measurement, but it says up one inch, so I think we just measured in the wrong stop! 

My goal is to lose another 10lbs over the following month.

PICTURES!!


Me at 319lbs back in August
Today at 263.5lbs

The day before surgery at 308lbs
Today at 263.5lbs

The day before surgery at 308lbs
Today at 263.5lbs











13 comments:

Allmycke said...

Doing good, girl!

dogsled_stacie said...

Woohoo! You rock! And you're looking great. You are a great inspiration y'know!

Sarah N said...

That really is amazing! Amazing weight loss, but also amazing that you were able to pinpoint your past habits and STOP THEM before you let yourself get carried away. Mind over matter, you are rocking this!

Lesley said...

You are one tough cookie! So excited to see your progress and hear that you are finding new g tools to help you. xoxo

Nancy said...

Congrats on the progress so far- you are looking fabulous, you can see a big difference already!

Tna said...

damn! Lookin' good chick!

Ann said...

WOW!!! what a huge difference. You are looking fantastic.

Roberta said...

Congrats to you Kara. So proud of you, girl! You look awesome.

Morena said...

Look at you!!! wow. good for you.

jen said...

Holy cannelloni! Good freakin job lady!

In Iqaluit said...

Amazing, Kara! You have made impressive progress and I really enjoy your updates. Keep up all of your excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Mama mia!

You go girl!

Tara Borin said...

So wonderful, Kara! Learning new ways to deal with our emotions can be such a challenge. It's great that you recognize when you're reverting to old habits. Must have felt real good to give those cookies away! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.