Thursday, June 7, 2012

Once an addict....

Always an addict.

I am a food addict and I am sure I will always be one.  In the past, a lot of my binging was done in secret where no one could see.  Food has been my friend; it has always there to comfort me when times were tough (or even when times were good).  The habit is hard to break- no different that becoming alcohol or drug free.

This week a friend gave us a few rubbermaids of food since she is moving away.  In the rubbermaids was a small container of nutella and one of maple butter.  Instantly I went back into old habits- stash in the cupboard where no one could see.  Yesterday I pulled them out and had about two tablespoons of nutella and about the same of the maple butter.  And I felt sick, physically sick.  I had a headache within minutes and thought I would throw up.

In my old life I would have eaten both jars in a day.  Easily.

In my new life, I put them in a bag and gave them away.  I didn't even want to put them in my garbage can for fear of trying to pull them out again.

I am so thankful for my new life.  Once in which I still fall down, but am discovering the tools to pick myself up again and move on.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

*hug* Good for you for getting rid of them!

Trish said...

Way to go Kara! So proud of you, Hugs!

Fawn said...

Way to go! Keep at it, girl!

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

I relate so so much to this!! I have heard lots of people get derailed with nutella! I've never had it and plan to never try it ! Sounds dangerously delicious. Awesome job on giving it away!!!

Megan said...

The addiction never really goes away. It is still a constant struggle.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Nutella could certainly derail me.

Good for you!!