Friday, December 21, 2012

A Year of Reading

Since having my weight loss surgery I have been reading more.  A lot more. 

I have always loved to read, but with little kids it just seemed to be pushed to the back burner.  I was reading heaps of books to them each day, but by the time I was able to put my feet up, I wanted my brain to be numbed, so on went a tv show or some internet surfing.

Reading has been one of my biggest techniques to break myself from mindless eating.  It is hard to hold a book and read at the same time.  And I really don't want to eat and read with my kobo that has a touch screen!  Grime on the screen?  No way!  Seems odd, but it works.  Reading distracts me so well and lately I cannot seem to put my books down!

I have to thank Letia in Iqaluit especially for helping me get back into reading.  It was through her generosity that I was able to spend money on myself (something most mom's have problems doing) and buy myself an ebook.  I love being able to buy a book instantly and also to be able to carry around as many books as I want!  Now, I still have a real book on the go most times, but my kobo is my new best friend!

So what did I read in the last year?  Here are the titles:

Game of Thrones books 1-5
Hunger Games Trilogy
The Dovekeepers
World War Z
Insurgent
Divergent
The Twelve
The Passage
As the World Dies Trilogy
Ashes, Ashes
Hater
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar
The Zombie Autopsies
Autumn Series (5 book series about zombies!)
50 Shades of Grey Trilogy
The Girl in the Steel Corset
Wool Omnibus (books 1-5)
On the Island
The Island
Dog Blood
Snatched
Newsflesh Trilogy
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Wheatbelly
Hitching Rides with Budda

I know I am missing a few on that list, but that looks like most of them!

So what was my favorite?  Individual book was World War Z.  The movie is coming out next year and even though it looks like crap compared to the book, I am still excited to see it.

Favorite series?  Too hard to pick!!  Game of Thrones is awesome and addictive.  But so was The Hunger Games.  And so was Autumn.  Can't pick.

My theme of the year was definitely zombie.  And I love anything apocalyptic. 

Worst book of the last year?  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.  I couldn't finish it.

And what am I reading now?  The rest of the Hater series and then onto The Maze Runner.

Input!  What should I read in 2013??  Leave me your favorites in the comments!

7 comments:

Erica said...

Anything by Scott Westerfeld - the Uglies series, the Leviathan trilogy, Peeps...maybe I have enough energy to hold up a book this afternoon. ^_^

Nita said...

My goodness! I haven't read any of those, lol! Guess I have some catching up to do!

Fignie said...

Love your book list!! :)

Favorites this year ... The Janet Evenovich series - Stephanie Plum - there's 19 books - great for those quick brainless reads - soo funny :)

Sara Donati or Diana Gabaldon - love both ladies ... :)

Oohh, I agree with the Lincon - I even fell asleep through the movie :( lol

Alex said...

Try these 2:

The Sisters Brothers
15 Days

I enjoyed both of them thoroughly. :)

Lana said...

Try the leviathan series by scott westerfeld. Its a steampunk take on WWI

And the iron seas series by maljean brooks is entertaining if you want a more adult take on steampumk.

Tara Borin said...

I second the vote for The Sisters Brothers, it's such a great read!

In the zombie vein...I really like "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". It's the classic Pride and Prejudice...but with zombies. Pretty entertaining.

How was Wheat Belly? I see it all over the place, and I've been watching for it at our library.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I wasn't overly impressed with Wheat Belly. It has great stuff in there, but I cannot imagine trying to follow that style of eating up here. It can be so difficult to get fresh food here!