Monday, July 1, 2013

Garden Growing!

Two weeks away and my garden is flourishing thanks to the heat and a fantastic husband who remembered to water it.

Most everything was planted straight from seed just over five weeks ago and I am sure they are already bigger than things were this same time last year.  My potato plants are especially large!

Vole killing moved past traps and whacking with shovels to poison.  Yep, poison.  I am a bit over protective of my carrots and peas.

Does anyone know anything about growing spinach?  Mine is starting to flower.  Is that what it is supposed to do?

I have a few tomato, cabbage, peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower plants that were started and given to me.  I hope they produce this year too even though they are out in the beds instead of being in a greenhouse.

This week I need to start thinning the carrots, lettuce and peas.  Exciting! 
Beets, leeks, swiss chard, lettuce and some carrots down these lines.

Heaps of carrots and peas!

Spinach, green beans, and green onion.

Just some of the potatoes!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Usually your spinach flowering means it's bolted. You might want to give it a taste to see if it's turned bitter. Here's a link:
http://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/4350/why-is-my-spinach-flowering-and-how-can-i-prevent-it

I wonder if it bolted so quick because of all the sun?